Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Coyote HUnter
"Nor is it hard to imagine situations when it might be best to be loaded and cocked with the safety off, especially in DG country."

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Having followed wounded bears into puckerbrush willows and alders with an empty chamber and still managed to find time to slip one into the chamber I cannot fathom the mindset that would believe there would not be time to slip the safety off. That goes so far into the ozone I have to respond even though I bowed out of this style-over-substance pissin' match a long time ago.
art

Sitka deer -

When writing that my thoughts were not that one might wander around the countryside or go poking through the alders going after wounded game but rather that a hunter might find himself standing his ground in a defensive situation where the time spent fumbling with a safety might make a difference in the outcome.

In particular I was thinking of smallish (like the Ruger) three-position safety and gloved hands or a safety that has been subjected to moisture in freezing weather (I had one freeze up in the "safe" position one day). I was also thinking in terms of pack animals like wolves or hyenas or maybe a pride of lions. In such situations is is not a all hard for me to imagine I'd slip the safety to the fire position even if I was praying I never had to actually fire.

One might argue that such a situation is not "hunting", but that's a pretty fine point if the situation occurs in during a hunt.

P.S.

I freely admit I didn't give the whole idea a lot of thought as it quickly became apparent that I could not imagine all possible situations let alone evaluate them.

I also admit that such situations are likely to be rare in the extreme rather than commonplace, as are events like getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/28/08.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.