Jeff �

Your �For instance� about the levergun is one reason I�m especially slow to load one in the chamber of my Marlins and Browning leverguns. While it is possible to unload the magazines without fully chambering a round, and even to unload the chamber without picking up a new cartridge from the tube, it is considerably more awkward than simply cranking the lever. And the Browning holds 10 rounds. The crossbolt safety on two of the Marlins get used almost exclusively for unloading. I just find it easier to wait to load a round until its needed than go through the hassle of unloading the chamber and/or magazine.

As to �The assumption of the empty-chamber guys is that they are all a bunch of cool assasins, and maybe in fact they are, but think if they had their way and every Tom Dick and Harry had to carry empty-chamber in the woods!�. Guess I�d have to go back and reread the whole thread (not likely!) but I don�t think anyone made such an assertion, nor do I recall any of the cold chamber types suggesting that everyone else should carry that way, too. Would there be more NDs if everyone carried cold? I seriously doubt it. The first thing that would happen is a fair number of ND�s would be eliminated and you�d have to make up that deficit before moving into the area of �MORE ND's �. Remember � in order to have a hot chamber someone already had to load it, meaning the chance for an ND while cycling the action has already existed.

I agree the #1 safety is between the ears. Unfortunately that safety is probably not as reliable as mechanical safeties. People do make mistakes.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/19/07.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.