Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen

Please remember, however, that I never said that people shouldn't hunt cold chamber. Those sorts of negative pronouncements have only come from the cold-chamber crowd, and a lot of this thread was generated by the hot-carry crowd basically defending their right to hunt. Instead, I have steadfastly maintained that a good gun handler can hunt with a hot chamber, and that there are good reasons, for some of us it seems, to do so. Maybe one of those good reasons is that I'm not the hunter someone else is- fair enough. But, since I AM a good gun handler and responsible adult, I will cheerfully hunt hot to maximize my chances of tagging an Oregon blacktail buck.
-jeff

Don�t forget that some members of the �carry hot� crowd were making ridiculous statements to the effect that if you choose to carry cold you shouldn�t be in the field.

Overall there are times when it is appropriate to carry hot and even more times when the difference between a cold or a hot chamber is moot with regard to putting game on the ground. With deference to the terrain others hunt, I can honestly say I don�t think there is an animal I�ve killed that would have lived it I had had a cold chamber (and in fact I often did).

There is one thing a hot chamber can never be, no matter how good and conscientious the hunter � it can never be as safe as a cold chamber when it comes to accidental or negligent shootings. That doesn�t make cold the right way or even the best way for all circumstances, it�s just a statement of fact.

When hunting with others around I prefer cold chambers all around.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.