Originally Posted by 257STEW
I chamber a round but still need to cock the firing pin on my bolt actions.The millisecond it takes I can live with, shooting a hunting partner I cannot live with and no animal is worth my partners life. I will not rely on a safety to keep my gun from firing, they have been known to fail. Just about everyone knows or has been around a gun that has gone off when it is not suppose to. My last 2 hunting partners that I went for a walk with were my kids, round chambered but firing pin not cocked,see moose simply lift handle and put back down and your ready.
I really like my marlin as all I have to do is pull the hammer back and it has that 1/2 safety thing so it is a really safe one to walk with.
My ruger #1 and my model 88's do not do that,you would have to load and rely on the safety so I do not chamber rounds unless I am by myself walking. That is just the way I do it. If my partner wants to walk with a round in the chamber and rely on the safety he can walk by himself as it is me he is going to shoot.

So where is the tip of your firing pin resting on your bolt action rifles when the bolt is closed and the handle needs to be raised and lowered to cock it?
In this case with mine, the tip is pushing against the primer of a loaded round, and a small accidental blow to the back of it will fire the rifle.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.