I've changed my view on the hot/cold carry over the past several years. I don't think I was ever "unsafe", but a bullet can never be called back.

In the truck, on the atv, I don't even have one in the mag.

Walking in/out/still hunting I've got the mag loaded but empty chamber. Once I'm in the stand one goes in the chamber. If I'm on the ground, once I spot game, one goes in the chamber.

Safety is always on until I'm set to send a bullet on the way.

Muzzle control/safe handling should be a given, but I know I've only got control over so many things....

Last year a friend and I were going to call 'yotes. My rifle was unloaded (mag and chamber). We were still at the truck, getting our "stuff" out. Just as I moved my rifle from one side of my body to the other with the muzzle pointed up and away from him (and anything else except blue sky) he stepped up and across passing the side of his head right in front of the muzzle. The rifle was unloaded and I did all I could to safely handle the rifle, but it still bothers me that my rifle was pointed at someone for a split second. He didn't even notice but was very appreciative of my apology....

The more things I see, the more I'm aware of how little control I have at times, and the more seriously I take the things I do have control over.

JCM