Mr. RiverOtter;
I�ve been present on two occasions when shotguns discharged as they were being un-cocked with a live round in the chamber.

The first time was a Russian Baikal single shot and the 2nd time was a Mossberg bolt action. The first time was when I was very young and it happened to me, the 2nd time it happened to another hunter who did it behind me without me knowing it was being done. Both times a safe muzzle direction saved me, but still scared me spitless. frown

Suffice it to say it is a topic I cover very thoroughly when I teach gun handling in CORE. wink

When I hunt with anyone else, which unless it�s our daughters is pretty rare, I insist the person I�m with has a cold chamber. In my work I�ve done far too many accident investigations to believe that the vagaries of life will never catch up to me. I�m just not that lucky.

When I hunt down here in the Okanagan, not only is the rifle empty but it�s often slung, as I find I glass better with two hands.

As you know down here, we can bump into whitetail or mule deer, elk, moose, California Bighorn, goats, bears and a few species of range animals too. Since we have gender and on most animals point restrictions as well, one has a bit of identifying to do before proceeding.

If the piece of ear or leg that I�ve spotted turns into a legal animal, I then heat up the chamber and do my best to empty it into the animal. I�ll note that about half the time I hunt with a Number One and the rest of the time a bolt gun of some description. Both actions can be used with about the same amount of elapsed time I believe.

While I�m sure my method has perhaps cost me a deer or two, I can�t really complain too loudly as our red meat seems to come off the mountain for the most part.

I suppose it might be a regional thing as well, but for us here in the mountains with the shin-tangle and such it has been a safe and productive way for us to hunt.

Good luck on all your upcoming hunts and especially those with your daughter. Good on you for taking her out!

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"