Originally Posted by rem_7
The only thing i was ever trying to get at was, is it the only option 100% of the time??

lion?
bear, by yourself? wounded?
even pigs or wounded pigs?

will one "cold" supporter admit it might not be an option 100% of the time? and if so, can you make it without killing someone?

rem_7

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem. Wildswalker had admitted there are times when he may hunt hot and I have stated many times that I hunt both hot and cold depending on circumstances. There have been others as well.

That said, cold is ALWAYS an option and it is the ONLY option that is 100% safe with regard to ADs. Period. Could it cost the hunter an opportunity to take game? Perhaps, but an honest evaluation comes to the conclusion that such instances are relatively rare.

(Note that I am talking about ADs, not going into the brush following wounded DG, in which case I would be hot with the safety on.)

Someone else pointed out the risk/reward factor where (paraphrasing) the reward equaled a squirrel in the pot and the risk equaled injury or death. There are a lot of people here that have always hunted hot, loading up as soon as they leave their vehicle and staying hot until they return, and probably always will. It seems that many of these hunters are somehow threatened by the fact that others come to the conclusion that hunting cold is a safer method. Cold hunters have been incorrectly slandered as too stupid and/or clumsy to handle firearms safely when in fact they choose the safest possible method of carry, knowing that neither mechanical safeties nor good gun handling can always prevent injury. Mechanical systems are prone to breakage and people are prone to failure. Either can result in the unwanted when the chamber is hot � and often HAS resulted in same.

You cannot recall a fired bullet and �Oops, sorry� doesn�t cut it.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/15/09.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.