Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
Coyote Hunter,
Great pics of a hunting world and terrain absolutely foreign to folks who hunt timber, rough country where shots on elk or bear or lion are often measured in seconds and softball throwing distance.

Being old school mil-police-hunter for many years, I carry hot always.CHP & hunting..

Never had an AD or killed anything or anyone who wasn't my intended mark.Jim

Jim -

You are correct about such places being foreign to some folks. I understand people hunt different terrain but even if they didn't I don't have a problem with people in my party carrying hot provided two things are true:

1. The mechanical safety or safeties on their weapon are functional. Had a guy one year that carried hot for a week. We found out on the last day, after getting back to camp in the afternoon, what he had known all week - that his safety was busted. The rest of us showed considerably more restraint than he deserved and I never hunted with him again.

2. That the person or people carrying hot observe good handling techniques. Had another person I hunted with that couldn't control his muzzle and when it was brought to his attention denied there was a problem. That was my last trip with him, too.

My post was not meant to suggest that people should do it my way (which is actually a mix of hot and cold depending on circumstances) but rather to provide those to whom it is foreign a graphical demonstration of circumstances where hot ot cold makes no difference in the final outcome.

For what it is worth I sometimes carry concealed and usually do so with the hammer down on an empty chamber, safety off. My older brother carries concealed daily, locked and cocked. Both ways work. If I ever need it, I'll probably wish mine was cocked and locked, too. Flip side, he will never forget the day his thumb slipped while lowering the hammer, causing a hole to suddenly appear in the floorboards of his car...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.