Originally Posted by grizzyallen
i also wish you luck trying to kill a whitetail in central NY at 40yds moving through a hemlock stand or thicket with an unloaded chamber. even if you had the time to chamber a round that deer would be on the next ridge before before you'd have a bead on it.

Bullschit.

BT/DT, in upstate NY (guarantee that the Saddles, near Whitehall on the South Bay of Lake Champlain ain't easy walking). Buck was feeding along, through the thick stuff, as I was still hunting up the side-hill. Caught his movement, chambered a round (in a single-shot, no less; T/C Encore .300WM), and popped him nicely in the lungs at about 35 yards as he was moving alert, but not hauling it. If I'd spooked him, I'd have not shot, nor would I have had one.

Done the same on State Land near Lake George, and TNC property on the old IP lands near Speculator.

Done likewise in laurel thickets in VA, briar-tangled creek bottoms in VA and NC.......................

To say that "well, it can't be done because of............" is simple bullschit. Those saying that it can't be done, have simply never tried it.

And, yes, I've hunted "hot" before as well; until I figured out that it was an accident waiting to happen, and it simply was not worth it.

Your life, or the life of someone you hunt with, might be worth that "maybe I couldn't have gotten that buck" chance, but mine's not, nor are those I hunt with.

YMMV..................