Originally Posted by jmcdguns

Coyote Hunter, could you show me where the safety is on my single action army revolver.

This thread started as a "do you hunt with" question. I suppose many or most also took it as a typical bolt rifle question. When you turn it into an action type question, then there will be differences. For example, a revolver is a multi-shot weapon, capable of firing several shots without reloading. Where, therefore, is the magazine? Obviously it's the cylinder.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they hunt or that responsible people will only hunt with an unloaded weapon. That is quite ridiculous.

Are all weapons equally as safe with a loaded chamber? Can all weapons be carried uncocked with a loaded chamber? Are some weapons safer even without a mechanical safety than are others that have them? Would a reasonable person hunt with a traditional exposed hammer weapon fully cocked?

Is there any hunting advantage to carrying a SAA revolver with a round under the hammer? Does that make it easier or quicker to get off that (first) shot undetetected?

Is the risk equal, to walk in front of a fully loaded uncocked weapon (such as a revolver or lever gun) or a chamber loaded and cocked weapon (a typical bolt gun)?

Shotguns and bolt rifles tend be cocked and oftne rely in a tiny sear to prevent the hammer from falling, regardless the fact that a mechanical safety exists. No one has disputed that safe handling of a firearm is a foremost method of preventing and "accident". Just like the sears found on many common modern hunting weapons- which are measured in tiny fractions of an inch, however, safe gun handling does not void the risk of having an unsafe discharge. It only reduces that risk.

Many gun designs work on the principle of reducing risk. Similar to safe gun handling all they do is reduce risk but don't eliminate it completely. Carrying a gun unchambered, especially one which has a high risk "safe" condition like the typical modern bolt gun, is a positive way to deal with an otherwise high risk potential. I know that it works for us and rarely includes lost opportunities. The opportunities that I have missed have involved human error, not an unloaded chamber, by a wide margin.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.