Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
ALL my handguns have no 'safety' ..pistols or revolvers..other than my own cognizance..

Longguns are infinitely more 'safe' than handguns in the hands of a competent hunter..safety or not.
I don't rely on any mech safety when hunting.
When the firearm needs to be unloaded it's unloaded.
Otherwise, it's ready to deal a killing shot in the hands of the competent hunter.
Each hunter should assess his own hunting needs and circumstances, competentecies, and ensure his firearms are in proper working order and make his own decisions concerning hot carry.Attend to your companions also ..if any,... for IF in company of others..THEY are the largest potential threat..Jim

Plus one, absolutly.

I can't believe this thread is still alive. Can we chitt can it now and move on.??

OK, a couple questions, some agreement and - surprise - a disagreement.

First the disagreement. A long gun is not "infinitely more 'safe' than handguns in the hands of a competent hunter". Not even close, although I agree they are much easier to control. Still far short of "infinitely" safer. Relatively speaking, they are closer to the other end of the scale.

I do agree each hunter needs to make their own assessment. I also agree that hunters need to watch their fellow hunters closely. As far as I recall most of the Colorado shooting incidents that occur while hunting involve a shooter and a shootee. I assume the same is true in other states.

Now the question. Just what kind of pistols and revolvers are you and 'jim in Oregon' shooting that don't have any safeties? Every handgun I've ever fired had at least one safety, some have multiple safeties.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/11/08.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.