Originally Posted by saddlesore
...If someone doesn't trust themselves enough to know when they should open the action when crossing hazzards or such and can't depend on themselves to practice safe muzzle control, they shouldn't be handling a firearm at all, empty chamber or not.

What about the guy that slips and falls. Muzzle control is not always possible under such circumstances, and it isn't hard for a safety to get wiped into the "Fire" position or for something to catch the trigger. Slips and falls can happen in terrain where a wise hunter has already emptied the chamber, but they can happen anywhere. I've seen more than one person twist an ankle and take a dive on flat, open ground.

As soon as the chamber goes hot the chances of an AD/ND go up infinitely, no matter who is carrying the firearm. The only truly safe carry is with cold chamber.

I am not saying hot carry is an unreasonable risk - just pointing out the facts.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.