I hunt hot, been doing it all my life as well as following gun safety rules all my life. Was taught that way by my dad before I was old enough to start hunting, and I've taught all my kids the same way. Been one accidental discharge from both sides of my family in over 80 years of hunting and it happened to me with a worn shotgun safety on an old Stevens double barrel 410 when I was about 12 years old. No repercussions as the gun was pointed in a safe direction at the time. I also sleep hot when in the woods, you never know what might walk in your tent. Had a black bear walk in our tent about 4 years ago banging and clashing pots and pans as he knocked around in our kitchen. Three forths of us came up with pistols drawn and pointed towards the intruder. Nobody had to shoot as alot of hollering chased the big blackie out of the tent. I might also add all guns were pointed at the bear and we all took a stance where if we needed to shoot nobody would of been in harms way. An unloaded gun in the woods is just a club, I prefer having more of an equalizer if I ever need it. If your not a safe gun handler, you don't hunt with us period. If your new and get invited, you're watched by everyone present to make sure you practise safe gun handling, if you don't, you're asked to leave and you're not invited back, no exceptions no second chances.