Originally Posted by ironbender

I think you should just close the bolt while holding the trigger so it's a loose sloppy pin drumming on the primer. At least it's not cocked, right? blush

That would be a solution for sure - tongue in cheek though it is- if the firing pin was somehow unable to make contact with the primer - even in an impact. That was what seemed like a reasonable solution to me except for that obvious and very dangerous fact. Having grown up with exposed hammers on rifles and shotguns, it was quite easy and obvious to carry a live round chambered but in an uncocked position. They were very fast and quite quiet to bring into action if desired. Transfer bar revolvers are roughly more of the same. Unfortunately, the typical bolt gun is not so easy to make this way. That is a big part of the reason I stopped carrying loaded and locked, that and the fact that I watched a hot chambered rifle go sliding muzzle first toward me with nothing other than the safety to prevent the trigger from being pulled. Yikes! (And a safety which doesn't block the sear and/or the striker ain't much.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.