Originally Posted by jmcdguns
Does not putting your finger on the trigger until ready to shoot count as a safety?

Not in my book, as it relies on things that are not a part of the firearm itself.

If it does then that is the only one I figure most sensible people need. Gun Ownership 101: Treat every gun as if it were loaded, do not point a gun and put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to do some damage to what it is pointed at.

Its a good idea, but one that is often not followed for whatever reason. Even the most "sensible people" make mistakes and have accidents. I don't trust either mechanical safeties or humans not to fail when it comes to loaded firearms. If I had to put my trust in one or the other exclusively, however, I'd go with the mechanical safeties as in my experience they are far less likely to fail.

Answer to Poll: Yes I hunt with a round in the chamber.

That puts you in company with the majority. I'd be willing to bet, however, that you don't go around cocked and loaded with all the safeties that are present disengaged?

Coyote Hunter, could you show me where the safety is on my single action army revolver.

Can't speak to your firearm specifically but it is my understanding that the original Colt SAA's had four hammer positions: "cocked", "half-cock/loading", "safety" and "full down" - thus the distinctive, multiple clicks heard when bringing the hammer back from the full down to the fully cocked position. If correct, the "safety" position would definitely qualify as a "safety". Haven't handled a genuine SAA since I was a kid (probably the late 1950's) so perhaps I'm wrong.

Or not. Just went to the Colt web site and pulled up their SAA instruction manual. (http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/downloads/Manuals/LoRes/Single%20Action%20Army%20Revolver.pdf) It seems Colt calls the the first notch back from the full down position the "safety notch" and describes the hammer position when using that notch as the "safety position".

Regardless, my guess is that 'jim in Oregon' shoots handguns other than SAA's, although he may shoot them as well. My question about what type still stands as I'm genuinely curious what handguns don't have safeties of any kind.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/12/08.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.