Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Ratsmacker,
I was a spotter on a sniper team in Grenada, October 25, 1983. Our M-21's were equipped with the Leatherwood ART II scope.

Our rifles were pretty old, but IIRC, they had Redfields on them, or NOT, it WAS thirty years ago, and memory fades. Besides, we didn't see them much, they were locked away in a separate locker, and never saw the light of day.

I don't think they were ever out of the arms room the whole four years I was at Bragg. Even when we sent some guys to the "new" Sniper School MTU had set up, they used their issue M16A1s for that class, which had just got started, at that time.

The Army didn't want to admit anything about snipers at that time, it was a sideshow at best (remember, this was the Carter era).

I'm pretty sure that other arms rooms around the Army had other stuff, too. Our five shotguns were 1200 Winchesters, while other units had Remingtons or Ithacas, or................ We probably just passed by when it was time to get a batch of shotguns, or Winchester had the bid when it was time to buy them. Whatever the case, we had, what we had.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.