It was all 168 gr. LC Match for us. It wasn't hollow point, was boat tail, and ten or twelve years before Lee24's claimed date of 1980.

I don't see why linked MG ammo couldn't be used in an emergency. I thought it was the same 150 gr. bullets regular ball, just linked. It would probably not be match accurate. If you look at an ordnance table for 7.62 NATO ammo, I don't think you'll find any difference in the rounds themselves.

It was pretty easy to bend an operating rod with hot ammo in a M 14, or an M1 for that matter. Which makes me believe it all had the same pressure. The idea of stronger and longer machine gun ammo came out of WW I because of the tactics used there to put plunging fire on an enemy you could see 2000 yards away. AFter WW II, the concept was pretty much dropped.

Rgrx, by the M 14 SAW, I assume you were toting that heavy bastard "Automatic Rifle" with the pistol grip and the bipod. An M 14 that looked like it had "went tactical." I humped one for a while, but not in Ranger school. I shot one in a live fire exercize, and it was accurate, or I was lucky. I was hitting the aperature of a bunker at 700 yards with it, using tracer ammo.

Last edited by Gene L; 12/19/09.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06