While we are discussing military sniper rifles, I have a question for the gallery. After my first deer hunting trip to North Carolina, I came home wanting a long range hunting rifle. I met a young gunsmith from Finland that suggesed a Wimbledon Cup rifle. I was 19 and impressed with the project and said to go for it. I used a pre-64 (modern run) action, a Winchester Marksman stock and a heavy Shilen barrel chambered for .30-.338. I've had the opportunity to shoot deer with it for 18 years and I've always been impressed with it. It weighs about 14 pounds, which most folks can't get past.

I've got to wonder what the Marines have used for rifles, because it would make sense to train with what you take to the field. All the rifles I've seen have been shorter stocked, shorter barreled. I never see American soldiers with rifles having big McMillan A5 style stocks like you see on the .338 Lapua rifles. Does it sound like I have a typical Wimbledon Cup rifle? Do soldiers compete with rifles similar to what they carry?

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson