1. Photos are copywrit property of the photographer
2. Unauthorized theft and reuse of them is a Federal crime
3. ISP's may easily be traced and ISPs will always turn over all data regarding a customer pursuant to a federal subpoena
4. I doubt many of you are dealing with copyright law on a daily basis, so your lack of knowledge is understandable.
5. The photo in question was on a Photobucket account and Photobucket views copyright violations seriously (as they must to avoid being a litigant in a copyright violation case)
6. I requested the thief to pull down the photo and he refused.
7. My options are clear and will be exercised.

You might want to look at the Photobucket site as well as this violation notice instruction.

DMCA Notice of Alleged Infringement ("Notice")
1. Identify the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed, or-if multiple copyrighted works are covered by this Notice-you may provide a representative list of the copyrighted works that you claim have been infringed.

2. Identify the material or link you claim is infringing (or the subject of infringing activity) and that access to which is to be disabled, including at a minimum, if applicable, the URL of the link shown on the Photobucket website where such material may be found.

3. Provide your mailing address, telephone number, and, if available, email address.

4. Include both of the following statements in the body of the Notice:

* "I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use)."

* "I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed."

5. Provide your full legal name and your electronic or physical signature.

Deliver this Notice, with all items completed, to Photobucket's Designated Copyright Agent:

Copyright Agent
Photobucket.com, Inc.
PO Box 13003
Denver, CO 80201
abusephotobucket.com
Fax: (303) 395-1165

If the avatar is not gone by opening of business Monday, I will be left with no alternative but to proceed.
Not the hill I would want to die on but......