Originally Posted by DigitalDan
HEY! I need y'alls opinion on something. Does this sound like Lee24?

You are right, I am not a ballistician. I have not made any claims that I am, nor do I have any desire to be one. I do hold a Bachelors degree in engineering from an ABET accredited school that was obtained while married, working full time and attending 15-18 semester hours and 15 summer hours every year to fully complete in 4 years and graduated in the top 1/3 of the class. I do have an MBA that was obtained from the U of South Dakota in an accelerated 1 year program while teaching mathematics at a 1/2 full professorship load and was recognized as being the most effective professor on campus.

I do have 40 years of engineering experience with hands-on experience working 1 1/2 years in the Apollo Space Program at Collins Radio as an Applications Engineer and where I was ranked in the top 1/2 of all their engineers in the first 6 months of working there.

I do have experience from working on the Nuclear Waste Calcining Facility at the Idaho Falls National Laboratory for over 1 year doing Controls Redesign. I was certified as a Federal Energy Conservation Consultant and individually did the high school energy program for NE Idaho that was recognized by the state as being the most successful in the state.

I worked 7 years for the Department of Interior and Bonneville Power Administration as the District Engineer for SE Idaho. My territory there covered West Yellowstone to Jackson Wyoming to Wells, Nevada to Boise Idaho. I had total responsibility for all mobile and land communications, all SCADA, Transfer Trip, Metering and Relaying on all of the transmission lines (up to 345K Volt) that BPA had in that area. I installed and maintained the longest UHF link in the United States (125 miles with the Ryan's Ridge Repeater in the shadow of Garns Mountain). That link was only down once when lightning struck the Albion Butte repeater and I totally rebuilt the RF finals with spare parts and in less than an hour to get it back on-line. I was the only technical person in the area and had responsibility to install, maintain and repair all of the substation, repeater and mobile based equipment including the UHF/VHF dual frequency mobile units. When the line crews went out into the blizzards in the mountains my equipment was their only communication. They better work.

I am licensed as a Professional Engineer in about 20 states and have personally designed the power, lighting, fire alarm, security and utility systems for over 500 facilities including a 200,000 sqft City Offices building including 911 and incarceration facilities, a 140,000 sqft totally underground library, industrial facilities, Institutional Facilities, Commercial and multi-story multi-family residential. These were designed by me, not by individuals under my direction.

I developed, and programmed, a computer simulation model for the composting of landfill waste. This was a process that it was said could not be modeled. However, my client insisted that they could compost the waste completely without the adding of any water, which I knew could not happen. In order to document to the client that water would have to be added, I developed the complete simulation of the process including all of the heat generated, accounting for all of the off-gassing, heat and chemical balance and even predicted when the water would have to be added to the process. I received a Consulting Engineering Council recognition for the development of that computer simulation model.

Along the way I have been recognized by being published in virtually every Who's Who including Who's Who in the World, America, West, Engineering & Science, Finance and Industry, Emerging Leaders & a couple others. I am also a member of Mensa (the largest organization of under-achievers in the world).

Regarding my experience in external ballistics, I developed a computer program in the 80's to calculate external ballistics. This was based on Mayevski's Zonal Method. While I did not create all of the formulas, I did develop the formula myself that built on his model including all of the parameters that affect the bullet during external flight. I did it 100% alone including all of the formula derivation, computer programming, simulation of flight, and iterative process to do the zonal method. I researched and evaluated every other ballistics formula that I could find to determine which was the most accurate formula for the particular calculation, modified or altered in order to achieve the highest degree of accuracy.

It took 5 minutes for the program to run on the first computer that I had to run it on. It was sold internationally, was used by the military in Virginia and they informed me that it was the most accurate one they had, and they had them all. It was used at White Sands, in numerous small arms development programs, sniper programs, by the 50 Caliber Shooters Association and some that I don't want to know about.

One thing I have found in all this is that whenever you approach a problem there are inputs that will have significant impact on the output and there are inputs that will not. Experience will tell you which is which. It does not pay to spend time chasing down precise information on inputs whose specific value is not significant to the output that is being sought. In this case the rough comparison of 3 cartridges where the bullets are being upgraded at the time the comparison is being made does not require precise BC. This was verified in that the comparisons made with my initial BC's were not that dissimilar from those made with your BC's. And that is not to say that yours are any closer to reality because you have not given any engineering based information to document that. Just your own assessment of something published somewhere and with the background and technical capability to interpret that you have identified that you have.

So, if someone wants to expend the time to chase down some BC's that can be verified to be closer than any of those used, then those can be plugged into the calculations. However, they will not change the overall comparison of the 3 cartridges significantly and they will only be accurate for that exact set of circumstances, because tomorrow one of the manufacturer's will change the ogive slightly on one of the bullets for whatever reason (ease of manufacturing, better tolerance, ease of loading, more efficient, whatever) and the calculations will no longer be accurate. Also they would have to be done for every bullet that the manufacturer uses. Just as the BC's that you referenced for the 22WMR are for the round nosed lead bullet and not the jacketed tipped bullet available today.

So, while I am not, nor do I claim to be, a ballistician, I do have a little background in both the engineering relative to it and to the theoretical aspects of what effects a bullet in flight, how much it affects it, and whether it is significant to the objective.

I understand that this somehow makes me an idiot compared to your having the ability to read something in a magazine and have an "understanding" of how the BC affects the flight.

Your joking right? Lee invented most of the things this poser went to school for...