Originally Posted by TexasTBag
Info on big green?

I had a real passion for 1,000 yard shooting, when I blew back into the land of the free.

88 rounders on Historic Ft. Huachuca were a HOOT !,......and what had been our "Practice Day" evolved into a "600 yard Accurate rifle match". I built a small fleet of "Portable" Benches ( you can't replicate an 800 lb. cast concrete bench )
....the order of the day was any rifle, any sights, any target,......this was before the introduction of "F Class", and I think that light was goin' on in a lotta' heads, all over the U.S. than ( 95-96 ?)

Anyhoo that's where I was hangin' and playin.....when "Big Green" came together. 600 Yards is a fair kinda' shot,.....outside of bein' 400 short of the real thing. I wanted to shoot 1000 yards, and was not financially able to go the conventional money pit route,..........

The base platform's High # Rock Islander,.....that I picked up at a Pawn shop in Wilcox ( I think, ....if not, it was from a gunshow, or shop in Tucson).....When I got it, it was in "Sporter" form,.....VERY bad form, too I might add. The drilling and tapping of the receiver for the ubiquitous Weaver Mounts had been acccomplished by drunken fools, with a burnt out Craftsman drill motor,.....at 3:00AM , behind God only knows how much bad booze. (Gee, I hope I don't upset any twits by mentioning God,.....i9n anything but a groveling tone)

..........One thing I can give the drilling crew credit for,.......outside of destroying "The Originality" of the beast,........they were too stoned, or ignorant to fool with "Spot Annealing",........in consequence,....the receiver looked likely.

Can't say that the wood was remarkable,....cuz' I don't remember it,....and where it went.

The Stock is a 52C,.....but not 1 of the 10 that I subsequently bought from SARCO,.....for $15.00 each.( These were residue from alla' the armory rack rifles,....Win 52 B & C that the Klintoons cut up, to protect us from,.....hey fuc# it,.....I don't wanna' TALK ABOUT THAT SHI$ !

.....the stock on Green was purchased from a VERY drunk old coot at a Pima County Fairgrounds show,....for the princely sum of $4.00, and a big foaming styro cup of Draught Beer ( yes, They useta' flog it out in front of the show.

It was severely cracked,....clean through on one side of the Mag slot,.....Don't really matter,....it's all " Ribbed" with T 60 aluminum imbeds,.......and buried in Krylon Camo OD.

The action is pinned and potted into a true "Flat Bottom" with Peened taper pins, and Devcon Titanium mud. A Brownell's 8MM Mauser Single shot adaptor was tossed into the pour,.......nice rifle to run,.....toss one in the "Tray" and slam the bolt shut,....The remainder of the 1 Lb. Titanium Putty kit went into the stock,....which is by itself. heavier than a lot of heavier caliber rifles. It's not an EXTREMELY heavy rifle,....at 14 Lb. But as the pics will verify,....it's a tad "Muzzle Heavy"

Stand by for "Part 2"

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain