The M-14 was designed to be primarily a semi-automatic battle rifle like the M-1 Garand. It had a selector switch to provide the option of fully automatic fire, but most of those issued were semi-automatic only. The M-21 rifles had the selector welded to disable automatic fire, as did those moved through the DCM for civilian and law enforcement sales. Those which were permanently disabled to semi-automatic fire only are Class I weapons, but since there were manufactured in the 1960s and 1970s, they do not fall under the restriction on civilian ownership of post 1986 Class III weapons.

I had already received a post card from the DCM to pick up my M-14 when President Clinton ordered them destroyed. 479,367 M-14 rifles were destroyed by his executive order, according to the DCM, according to the record I saved at the time. It may have been more before it ended. The NRA could tell you, if someone wants to ask them for their number. 480,000 destroyed would still leave at least that many in good working condition somewhere.