Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
My Superlite 708 has shot some amazing 4-5 shot groups then proceeds to string them badly horizontally too when it gets hot

You need to let the barrel cool. No amount of load development, glass bedding, finding that perfect node, is going to help a hot barrel.

Im not castle rock, but ill guarantee ill get this Tikka shooting sub moa 10 shot groups, like i said, with a little load development. These barrels are pretty good, unless its stressed from machining, it should lay them into a nice tight group, even when it is warm. Im not saying when its "hot" because i don't like to get them really warm/hot. Thats not good for the barrel. I'll generally shoot 1 round per minute, as that is the normal routine we use when shooting competition. For me, thats a good rule of thumb to go by, when shooting my bolt actions.

We/you are not the norm at ranges. I seen guys shoot a box of 300 wsm in rifle in a span of 20 minutes. Not knowing how ol boy shoots, but when I hear horizontal stringing I instantly think way too hot of a barrel. Unless you are lucky like I was today and shoot in 9 degree weather. My barrel never got warm 😜. I seen guys blaze through 2-3 30rds through an AR in less than 15 minutes ( which is a good reason never to buy a used AR) when it's warm out I will set my timer on my phone too 2 minute intervals.

Yep, I've seen it too. Good on you to keep an eye on that barrel. I will often reach up and lay my hand across the barrel right in front of the scope and if its approaching too warm, I'll take a few minutes to give the girl a rest. I used to take that 30-06 I sold to you, to the range every time I went and when the rifle I was shooting, started getting too warm, I'd shoot groups with that ol 06. I always keep in mind, what if I sell one of these rifles to someone here on the fire. I don't want people thinking just because I shoot 10 shot groups, that I'm just laying waste to my barrels and ruining them for the next guy. You know from shooting that 30-06, that that is definitely not the case. That rifle will shoot moa 10 shot groups too, with the right load...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA