Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by rost495
LMAO. 600 easy to shoot with irons and a sling... Lets see who managed right at MOA in the challenge with irons here..

I dunno but anything with a scope and a rest is sure easier than a sling and irons.(yes I know mini scopes are legal now...)

Whats a nosler range? Never heard of it. We only frequented military and club ranges and the house out the door to 600 over the years. And a fair few years at Camp Perry.

I've made one shot kills on stuff past 600 too. A fair ways past IMHO. And past 500 with irons.

Now betting and talking smack among folks that are supposed to be all on the same side is pretty much BS to me.

The real test is all shooters use the same rifle, thats donated by a non competitor and same ammo. That would be a blast really.

Course what do I know... service rifle shooter from a ways back when it was irons only. 600 is fun. Easy? Not really. If so the top military guys would be cleaning the 600 yard target all day long. I got to the point I could shoot normally a 200 but I had to work hard to get the skill to get there.

but then my classifications were High Master XC and LR and the LR part I'm really proud of. Irons on a service rifle to 1000 ain't easy at all. The NRA 99% club, the 495 club and P100 ain't to bad either.

I've never shot a round with a scope in competition, seems like my wife said that would be too easy but what do I know. I know the targets are smaller but being able to see and read mirage while you are on the gun would be HUGE IMHO. Especially since its usually 22 down range before its over and you have to wait on the targets... though there were some days I'd rather have had a bipod and a scope... lol... but those days taught me a LOT.

About two weeks ago Mr. Edgard, who I believe you know from the old days, and I were discussing the use of scopes in XTC matches.

We agreed that in general it has become easier to shoot better scores, however it has not made it easier to win. The top shooters are top shooters with or without a scope. There is still way more Indian than arrow in XTC.

He did say one of his proudest accomplishments was making high master with iron sights. I have a lot of respect for guys like you and him that are old school HM service rifle shooters.

No way I could even be competitive shooting irons out 600yds. My eyes suck wear glasses, already have bifocals at 44. Yes it sucks lol, scopes like I said do help for service rifle.

Truth be told, I think you could with irons. Though IMHO it takes more work. I've had to have correction of some kind since about 15-16 years old. Stayed tight to local optometrist and figured some things out. You have to be able to take the test lenses to the range with you. Your normal RX isn't your shooting typically. You need the right size aperture on the right day. And TINT... made a HUGE difference... Carolyn and I kept light orange, light green and clear on hand at all times. You had to see the front sight sure. But smoke that and make a pencil mark on it so you know you are not fading... but you have to have target contrast. And different light and ranges would make us use different holds. In fact I used different holds at 200 than the rest of the course typically. But on given days it might be way off the normal, just so you could see contrast. Without that you had no prayer typically.

Irons just take a lot of work. But JJ Conway shot irons( match rifle irons though, IE ap front also not post and all the adjustable ones) well into his 70s and could hand me my ass quite regularly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....