Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sorry to run off, had been up since 3:30 a.m. CST yesterday, I have another Bud like you that is critical on all those steps and then some, he has a lot of cool loading tools, "everything" down to a scalpels edge on weights and measurements, he's pretty hard to be around when he's assembling ammunition, that said, I would not want to have him looking for me in his glass at 2500 yards, he's a real critical dude on loading and shooting, a regular mathematician and wind reader he is.

I load new full length sized Lapua brass on an old Lee classic press, prime on the press too, don't sort weigh bullets or brass, check runout, turn necks, uniform pockets or flash holes, all that may not be necessary only going to 1000 yards with a good accurate rifle and load, the surgical procedures may be necessary if going 'really' long.

I did however underestimate the 147 ELD in the wind, dialed a bit to much right wind on 900 yard group, the little cutter didn't need that much help, I'm not through with the 150gr SMK's either, I like that bullet, I went with a 7.5 twist specifically to shoot those bullets and heavier offerings if need be.

You guys take care and stay healthy up that way to my Friend.

Sounds good. Yeah, i hear you about sorting everything. The only time i did that was when i was shooting my 300WSM in local centerfire competitions. I was shooting a lot of perfect scores, but just barely. Thats also the reason i bought the concentricity gauge. I think keeping run-out numbers low is what really helped my scores and created tighter groups. I think you will be perfectly fine with that lapua brass. Thats what i run in my swede. That chidt is nice stuff right out of the box. I also hear you about those 6.5 bullets. They cut through the wind like a laser beam. Ive shot paper with my old savage at 450 yards when the winds were howling, here in the gorge, and wondered if i even hit the target. I was amazed to be shooting sub 4" 10 shot groups in those conditions.

Yessir, I've always been amazed at the dedication and discipline some of you guys go through, nice to see that, I guess it can pay off when going really long.

The best thing you can learn out of all this is when NOT to shoot game.

I guess I'm going to have to be more PLAIN, I'm shooting STEEL at 900 yards as is, guys that do all the steps BSA and i mentioned are shooting STEEL/PAPER/TARGETS at longer ranges, 1000 to 2500 yard shooting may require ALL the steps to be completed so MAXIMUM accuracy can be had for LONGER RANGE SHOOTING of TARGETS.

I agree. The most ive been shooting lately is 450 yards, but ive practiced out to 850 yards when i knew id be shooting 600-700 yards on the bucks i drew tags for in a certain unit near by. Lately though, shooting at 2"diameter steel plate (1/2 moa) at 400 yards, tells me that what i do is good enough. Look at the last target i posted from my CTR. That rifle is a shooting sob. The weak link in that system is me. I can see it and call my misses, so i know its me. Like ive said, any NRA target with a 1 MOA X-ring will create no problem whatsoever, at any reasonable distance. So in a sense, its good enough. At least for my needs. If i wanted to beat a world record, then id be more anal. I think this is something gunner and i definitely see eye to eye on. I can respect where hes coming from. Some get it, some dont...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA