Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman
Stuff like that is why I adjust seating dies every time I use them. When doing so I also use a comparator and seat to a head to ogive standard. Unless it takes me out of bounds for fitting into the magazine I'm not concerned at all about overall cartridge length.

This weekend I cracked open a new 500 count box of Hornady 168 grain bthp match bullets. Seated then per my usual procedure and lo and behold, the overall cartridge length was twenty thou over that for the previous lot number. Immaterial since base to ogive was right and they shot as well and to the same POI as always.

We are more or less talking about loading for ar15's, so we try to stay at or under 2.255". If a new lot of bullets creates an issue of the seater die seating them to an OAL of 2.265", then you can see where the problem lies. I really could care less about using a comparator to measure, as base to tip of the bullet is more critical in this case.

Or you set your die to seat to 2.245, verify with comparator. Then you find other bullets you are using are .010 shorter now you are seating bullets to 2.235.. only with hornady bullets lol

I'm not too much of a stickler with my AR's, but I don't want them to be too long for the magazine. I could really care less if they are from 2.235-2.255" OAL from base to tip of the bullet. I have a comparator as well, but it doesn't do anything any better than measuring from tip to base and taking an average. If you buy decent bullets, the odds are you won't see much of a variance anyway. I know where my bullets are in relation to the lands, I don't need a comparator to tell me what I already know.. I do fully understand the frustration with Hornady bullets, as it seems like they are always fu cking with the location of the ogive or changing actual bullet length for some damn reason.. I like hornady bullets, though. For the most part, they shoot very consistently and are quite a bit cheaper than sierra's. Now, it would be a good experiment to see how much the bullets vary while using the comparator on them. If it is the base to ogive dimension that is sporadic, I can see that affecting accuracy/consistency. I may just break out the comparator and do some testing. That would also be great information to post on the appropriate thread. 77gr SMK VS. 75gr. Hornady BTHP . Speaking of the sierra's, midsouth has a bunch on sale. 69gr SMK for $95.00/500 and the 77SMK for $109.59. Better get them while they are hot..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA