Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Subtract bullet diameter is very optimistic - none of your holes will be that big. It's *much* more accurate to measure from the outside of one hole to the inside of the opposite hole.

Now that I've examined the question a little more carefully, I can see that you are right.

I have a number of bragging targets cut out and pinned to a bulletin board, and I took a closer look at them. I had always assumed and believed that the carbon marks made by a bullet passing through a paper target were exactly equal to bullet diameter. I took some of these target cutouts down and measured them. The carbon marks appear to be just a little less than bullet diameter...not enough to make a huge difference but enough to make the outside-to-outside measurement minus bullet diameter a little optimistic. The inside-to-outside measurement would be much closer to exact.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Looks great. I give you an A+ for sure.. Love the rifle and like the fact you are using a Burris rifle scope in the DD's. I like that you are rocking the Winchester model 70 and making it shoot that well...

Thanks.

And about that scope...(*ahem*). I had a VX-3 or 3i 6.5-20x40 on the rifle since I acquired it six or seven years ago. I pretty much lost confidence in the VX-3 and VX-3i last Fall and peddled every single one of them I had. I still have a VX-II on a muzzle loader and four VX-5s on some other Model 70s and a sweet little Model Seven in 6mm Remington ( I LOVE those scopes and hope they never give me reason to doubt, but I ain't married to 'em). But now I am wondering if the Leupold that used to sit on the rifle was a part of the problem, and now it would be someone else's problem. I'd rather think not. I have to say that the load I'm using in the Model 70 now is not the same one I was using before I made the change over to Burris and Sightron, so the problem could have been either the loads or the scope. I think I still have a few rounds of the old load, so I need to wring them out again and see what's what.

Old load was a 50-grain V-Max over 25.75 grains of Benchmark. New load is a 50-grain Ballistic Tip over 25.6 grains of X-Terminator.

Yeah, I gave up on Leupold when the last one failed me. I said never again!!!!! The nice thing about 223 rem is they are easy to get to shoot. The same goes for every 22-250 ive seen. That cartridge always seems to impress me. It reminds me of a little creedmoor.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA