Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Agreed, but that brass deserves good, match grade bullets loaded with good seating dies with verified at a minimum................loading non-match hunting grade, much less FMJ bullets, whether you want to weigh them or not, is a waste of match brass & the results won't really be any different in an AR than with any other brass.

As is using Lapua for short range blasting in your back yard.................

JMHO, JMMV

MM

I don't think Gunner is talking about shooting that lapua brass in his AR. He has a custom built 6.5x55 bolt action, that he's going to be using it in.

OK, thanks, maybe I misinterpreted his meaning..................

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Personally for my AR's, I shoot range pickup and still shoot sub moa out to 450 yards with it when the winds are favorable. Also, in my 6.5cm AR, I only use crap brass in it because it is harder on brass than any of my bolt guns. That is the only brass that I keep segregated. That rifle seems to run smooth as hell, but for some reason it is harsh on brass. I don't know if it is throwing the brass into the steel and concrete bench next to me or what. I've been wanting to throw the brass catcher on it and see if that may be the problem.. One thing I see more on this S&W performance center is the yellowing on the brass deflector more than on my 556 chambered rifles...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The rough brass, if it's actually caused by the gun, may be the result of some level of overgassing & the bolt may also be unlocking a fraction too soon, also maybe a less than optimum extractor spring tension..............but getting some marks on the shell deflector is not really uncommon & could be from loads that are a bit light for your buffer / spring setup & are ejecting just a little too far back.............if they come out at 3-3:30 o'clock it's about perfect, IMO vs 4:30 - 5 o'clock.

Those a sort of contradictory conditions.............so probably not both of them together on the same gun.

That's why on everything I build myself, I use adjustable gas blocks............... much easier to tune the gun to a finer level.

MM