Originally Posted by 79S
I moved on I got me a M1 Garand.. thinking I'm going to shoot some service rifle matches with it. I found a load it likes, peep sights 100yds puts all 10 shots in a 5 1/2 circle. Anyhow have fun with this boys, I'm off to better things..

John,

When I was stationed at Eielson, I used to hunt a power line cut down way back in the woods.

One day I was sitting on "my spot" when an old timer came down the way carrying a M1 Garand. He sat with me for a while and we shared some of my coffee, and he told me that he brought the rifle back from Korea and shot a moose with it every year except "nineteen hundred and sixty four." Then he asked if I was alive back then (I was).

I said, "That's heavy rifle to be carrying around in these woods at your age." He replied, "What's that fancy gun?" I told him it was a 300 Weatherby on an old FN action, but I hadn't shot any moose yet it. He replied "Well, if you ain't killin' no moose with it, then that's too heavy of a rifle to be carrying in these woods."

He smiled and went on his way. A few hours later I say the old man on a hill about 500 yards from me get into his sling and into a sitting position. Soon after I heard five shots in quick succession. Then he stood up and yelled back in my direction, "Young man? Can you help me carry this moose out?" Which I did.

I moved a year later and never saw the old boy again. The six years I lived in Alaska, I saw more hunting with 03-A3 rifles, Lee Enfields, Garands and Savage 99s than I've ever seen since, or expect to see again.

I guess the bottom line is a Garand in the hands of someone who knows how to work it is a thing of wonder.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.