Originally Posted by MikeS
Rost495 is exactly right. I re- started irons shooting with match irons at 55, this time in the Palma venue and was able to make High Master LR with the .308 and 155s 2 years after my 1st 1000 yard shot. Not being intimidated and experimenting to find what works for you and your eyes will get it done.
I am fortunate enough to shoot with some of the country's best LR shooters here in Phoenix which is a huge help. I have pretty poor uncorrected vision, floaters etc. , but a good optometrist.
Give a try, it's a lot of fun.

PS: trifocals were suggested for me in my 40s.

Thats about the time I had trifocals... 42 or so IIRC.

FYI Floaters, bad as it sounds they are in the gel of the eyeball and if I found them settling to the sight while I had to shoot I started to just thump the back of my noggin... no kidding they usually moved out of the way for at least the entire rapid fire string then... slow fire might take a few thumps if they were stubborn.

Can't see the front sight post on an AR. Make sure you are using an issue size one then. And deal with the sight picture. But I shot .037 wide one through about our early 40s when we quit shooting for other reasons. FYI. If shooting issue size make sure its tapered though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....