Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by osix

……Isolating the cluster didn't work in Vic…..

Yes it did. It did not spread across Victoria entirely.

…. most are now doing a roaring Christmas trade. …

Except those whose businesses went to the wall.

….NSW is currently experiencing an outbreak….

No it’s not but Sydney is. Most of NSW is COVID free.

Mostly the border closures have done more harm (financially) than good – just a knee jerk reaction. Currently we now have border checks – to stop those from the Sydney greater area entering QLD. WA has gone full knee-jerk and not allowing anyone from NSW in at all.

Just think about it – the borders are a line on a map, and this line does not coincide with any covid affected area boundary. Why cripple businesses without any sound logical or medical basis. It should be about logical containment within an area – borders are irrelevant. What if there is an outbreak on a border – totally isolate the entire states affected? Kinda crazy don’t you think?

My 2 cents. Unfortunately I am slightly informed on the topic due to my work.
Everything is just a line on a map. Suburbs, Cities and States. We live in a world of highly mobile populations so a State border is as good as anywhere to draw the line.

NSW has taken a completely different stance on dealing with COVID than any other State. Their model has been suppression - accepting community transmission will occur and then using contact tracing and other measures. The other States have taken a different approach of eradication.

So the reason States take a different approach - NT, WA and QLD have large indigenous populations. COVID is known to be extremely bad in those communities due to the bad health levels. The USA had a massive death rate in a native Indian community early in the piece.
Tassie has extremely low ICU bed to population numbers.

Vic showed what happens when you have poorly done community transmission. They did it tough and got it back through a really tough journey (respect to those who lived through that).

These days all COVID outbreaks are linked to international arrivals - . It’s the greatest risk, all outbreaks are directly linked to failures in the international quarantine programs. The FEDS just wipe their hands of it and say its a State problem. The full cost of the hotel quarantine program will not be known for a long time.
Anyway IMHO if Gladys wanted to actually put in some serious restrictions and controls in NSW then we would not have to close State borders as the safeguard, it would keep the rest of the country open.

PS I certainly did not vote for the member for Inala or her party.