Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
And so on and so on....Like I've said many times before, you can believe what ever you want, you hate Christians, God, and it seems like any one who disagrees with you...when we first started the discussions regarding religion, i tried to be respectful, but that is now long gone...but I do pray for you and mauser's soul.

Resorting to the use of poor rationale does nothing to resolve the absurdities and contradictions that are to be found in the bible.

You try to give the impression of making a point. What you say may satisfy the faithful, your buddies may cheer, yet absolutely nothing is resolved.

The issue remains unresolved because these are genuine errors, contradictions and absurdities.

Here's more for you to weep over.

''The Bible is filled with errors and mistakes. Other ancient texts also have errors and mistakes, but this isn't a problem because people don't expect the authors of those texts to be perfect.

The Bible, in contrast, is claimed by many believers to be infallible, inerrant and perfect.

Many base their entire religious ideology around the presumption that the Bible is free from errors or mistakes, so demonstrating the presence of errors is key to rebutting their religious claims.

Are There Errors & Mistakes in the Bible?

Of course there are errors and mistakes in the Bible; the only people who deny the presence of errors and mistakes are those with a strong ideological commitment to a belief that the Bible is somehow infallible, inerrant, or perfect. We can find errors and mistakes everywhere we look in the Bible because it's a collection of texts written centuries and millennia ago. Not all of the writers agreed and they were all ignorant of things humans have learned since then.''

101 contradictions in the bible.

DBT, I do not mean to dismiss your feelings, but we have discussed this before.......So, if there is no God as you state, then why is any Old Testament (OT) atrocity wrong? Atheist like you say God is immoral, but if you are an atheist, why do you care? What is your moral compass, or standard? If you are a true atheist then there is no moral standard. But people like you, DBT, might say, "Christians say your God is loving".....So, is God arbitrary or does he give reasons for judging people in the old testament? Hell yes he gives reasons! After 400 years of giving the Canaanites warnings as they were sacrificing their babies/children to their pagan God Molek/Molech, seems God was pissed.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So, DBT, you ask if there is a God, then why doesn't he stop all the evil in the world? Well here is a situation where God said we have got to stop this horrible stuff. So, probably, God said, Israelites, go stop these killings! And now, DBT, you and your atheist friends are complaining?

When God says in the old testament to wipe everyone out, you have to realize in the old testament, this is hyperbolic language, because in the next verse it says , "do not inter-marry with them"....HA! so if god just wiped everybody out, then how can one inter-marry with them? So DBT, can you see that back then that the language meant this had to be a decisive victory? It would be like saying today that in a USA football game that the Chiefs annihilate the Rams....so it is just a strong way of saying-they beat them badly.

Old testament theocracy was unique and temporary....it was not ideal for all times, but a means to a promised new covenant. So if God gave 400 years for the free will Canaanites to get their schiet together, then Gods only choice was to use force to drive them out.

The Old testament was temporary and was never meant to be the ideal law for all time. If you will note, everything from Exodus 20 to Deuteronomy does not apply to Christians.

Human thought and experience determines morality. The values and morality of the early polytheistic tribe of Israel developed over time, as did their concept of god, where the morality of the gods are a reflection of human experience and human beliefs, not an actual god.

In other words, believers create god their own image and their own values.

''Yahweh[a] was an ancient Levantine deity, and national god of the Israelite kingdoms of Israel and Judah.[3] Though no consensus exists regarding the deity's origins,[4] scholars generally contend that Yahweh emerged as a "divine warrior" associated first with Seir, Edom, Paran and Teman,[5] and later with Canaan. The origins of his worship reach at least to the early Iron Age, and likely to the Late Bronze Age, if not somewhat earlier.[6]

In the oldest biblical literature he possesses attributes typically ascribed to weather and war deities, fructifying the land and leading the heavenly army against Israel's enemies.[7] The early Israelites were polytheistic and worshipped Yahweh alongside a variety of Canaanite gods and goddesses, including El, Asherah and Baal.[8] In later centuries, El and Yahweh became conflated and El-linked epithets such as El Shaddai came to be applied to Yahweh alone,[9] and other gods and goddesses such as Baal and Asherah were absorbed into Yahwist religion.[10]

Towards the end of the Babylonian captivity, the existence of other gods was denied, and Yahweh was proclaimed the creator deity and sole divinity to be worshipped.[11] During the Second Temple period, speaking the name of Yahweh in public became regarded as taboo,[12] and Jews instead began to substitute other words, primarily adonai (אֲדֹנָי‬‎, "my Lord"). In Roman times, following the Siege of Jerusalem and destruction of its Temple, in 70 CE, the original pronunciation of the god's name was forgotten entirely.[13]

Yahweh is also invoked in Papyrus Amherst 63, and in Jewish or Jewish-influenced Greco-Egyptian magical texts from the 1st to 5th century CE.[14]'' Wiki - Yahweh

The Old testament was temporary and was never meant to be the ideal law for all time. If you will note, everything from Exodus 20 to Deuteronomy does not apply to Christians.[/b]

Not that old chestnut. You have God supporting genocide and slaughter one day and condemning it the next.

Morality doesn't work like that.

Besides, in the reported words of Jesus; ''Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.''

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.''

And don't go saying that Jesus fulfilled the law, thereby abolished it in spite of saying that he had not come to abolish the law.