Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Yeah, there it is, Raspy demonstrating that he/she has the mind of a toddler.

You are the one who does not know what hyperbolic language is, so I showed you the literal definition...and I called you half ass because anything Christian, your brain automatically blocks it out.

Utter Drivel.

The OT god is described as a god of war and strife, ordering rape and slaughter, women, children, animals.....calling it hyperbole ignores what the people of the time believed, that the god they believed in was a reflection of their needs and wants, that they created their god in their own image.

As do all believers in all times and all places, where the Christian version of god is a reflection of time culture, Greek philosophy, the fear of death and the hope of eternal life.

I honestly hopes this help's you....

A prayer for you DBT....

Try to help yourself, Raspy, your understanding of history, religion and human psychology is abysmal.

Once again:

''Although the biblical narratives depict Yahweh as the sole creator god, lord of the universe, and god of the Israelites especially, initially he seems to have been Canaanite in origin and subordinate to the supreme god El. Canaanite inscriptions mention a lesser god Yahweh and even the biblical Book of Deuteronomy stipulates that “the Most High, El, gave to the nations their inheritance” and that “Yahweh's portion is his people, Jacob and his allotted heritage” (32:8-9). A passage like this reflects the early beliefs of the Canaanites and Israelites in polytheism or, more accurately, henotheism (the belief in many gods with a focus on a single supreme deity). The claim that Israel always only acknowledged one god is a later belief cast back on the early days of Israel's development in Canaan.''

I honestly hope this helps you to understand the origins of your faith.

And I honestly this helps you too.....

The monotheism of the Hebrew Scriptures would later be appropriated by the adherents of Christianity who would continue veneration of Yahweh, eventually known as Jehovah and then, simply, as “God”, and Islam would also develop the deity under the name of Allah (“the God”) beginning in the 7th century CE. Whoever Yahweh was originally, and however he was worshipped, today he forms the basis of the three great monotheistic religions of the world.

Originally Posted by DBT
You do that because you fail to grasp one simple thing, that the changing nature of god throughout the books of the bible is not god, but an expression of what people believed about the idea of god at the time of writing. Consequently we have the contradictions between a tribal war god, a cruel and vindictive tyrant and the God of Love described in the NT.

HA HA...that is exactly what I was stating....But YOU failed to grasp it...regarding OT, Old Covenant was without mercy...I already told you i do not follow Old Testament writings because there is too much hyperbolic language (exaggeration of language by the interpreters)... NT, or the New Covenant, (which Christians follow) offers mercy and salvation through repentance.

Failing to Grasp It

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Illegitimi non carborundum