Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by Theeck
For those of you that do squats, do any of you get knee pain on long hikes afterwards? Ever since I started squatting again, I have started to get iliotibial band pain after hiking a few miles. I am trying some home physical therapy exercises hoping I can get rid of it. I'd hate to never be able to squat but if the PT doesn't work, I think I am going to have to stop doing squats.

hmmm- I'll often be good and sore after squatting, but I find hiking after helps alleviate that soreness

I did have a weird pain when I first started back into squatting- it's a small muscle on the upper outside of your quad- no longer remember what it was called, when I searched for it online I found it and a few stretches that help, along with w/ rolling it before; fortunately I haven't had that pain in several months

are you squatting heavy? possibly back off the weight a little and go to higher reps for awhile? maybe hike before squatting? if all fails, give up squatting for awhile until the pain subsides and then maybe very slowly ease back into and see

sucks frown

I wouldn’t say that I squat heavy - at least not compared to young guys. I will do various sets with anything from 225 through 275. I took a break from squats for several month in hopes that it would help. I am easing in again now. It doesn’t hurt until I hit somewhere between 4 and 7 miles but once it kicks in, every downhill step (and some others) hurts.