Originally Posted by smokepole
I did four miles up and down Emerald Mountain in Steamboat. Got slowed down on the way down when I rounded a corner and saw a little moose calf (this year's) standing about 40 yards ahead of me. Didn't see the cow right away, but knew she was close by and that was cause for a pucker factor of about 7.5. Made a little detour to give the calf some space, got around it, looked back up the trail and there was momma, watching me as I put some distance between us. That was the youngest calf I've ever seen, cute little bugger. But not a good situation to be that close.

I had a really [bleep] deal the other day while out for a walk in town. Got charged by a moose (cow) and managed to dodge her, and she went back in the woods. Kept walking down the road (opposite side of the road from where the moose had gone), and she came back out with a much more serious interest in stomping me. I did everything I could to evade, but I had no where to go and nothing to get between me and her. I ended up shooting her, while running, and from maybe 6 feet. That stopped her but didn't kill her. I got to where I was safe and called the cops. No idea what happened to her, or what the deal was. Never saw a calf, but can't think of another reason for that sort of behavior.