Did a 10 mile up and back "gut check" hike on Wednesday. 2100' of elevation gain w/ 26 lbs of gear and water on the way up w/ the last 1/2 mile of up being about 40* w/ 120' of 3rd class fractured limestone as a capper. I was ruined at the top. Dumped 16 lbs. of water for the descent and did the "ranger shuffle" back to the truck. The up took 2 hrs and 46 minutes, rested for 15 minutes and then took 1 hour 41minutes on the downhill. Terrain was mostly rocky 2 track w/ about a mile of firm snow at the top. It was a perfect day w/ temps of 42* at the start and 44* at the end.

That is my hardest push since Thanksgiving and overall I was happy to get the time and miles on my feet. Old age is a state of mind that must be resisted vigorously and this forum gives me a lot of inspiration and useful advice. Altra Lone Peak 4.0s are the tits! My feet were tired and sore but no bruising or blisters w/ a light pair of Smart Wool sox.

Hint: lots of stretching and 60mg of Benadry help prevent cramps when taken w/ several G & Ts post hike.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC