Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I look at it a little differently.

Christians claim a belief,..or truism, so do atheists. However,no one really 'knows' they are correct...couldn't possibly know.

I'm in the agnostic camp. Personally I hope it's all true, but I have my doubts...as does everyone.

Most honest answer.

Christianity gives rise to great hope and great societies, so it's alright by me. My dad was a Lutheran minister for 48 years.

Ghost,

You don't understand modern atheism. Considering how most ministers intentionally distort atheism, it doesn't surprise me your perception are a little off, so let me clear it up for you.

When a Christian assets a God exists, they are making a positive claim.

The most common form of Atheism, is called "soft atheism", or just Atheism, and does not make any positive claim. The position of the soft Atheist is that NO GOD, OR GODS, HAVE MET THEIR BURDEN OF PROOF. That's it, nothing more.

There are also Anti-theist, which are also called "Hard Atheist", and they do make the positive claim, that there is not God, or Gods.

Another position held by some atheist is that no god or gods have met their burned of proof, and certain god concepts (but not necessarily all of them) can be disproven.

So Atheism is not a monolithic position, there are many variations within it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell