Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Originally Posted by MojoHand
At this point, I think it is evident that AS's posts follow a predictable pattern:

“We can therefore express the major elements in the New Atheists’ agenda as follows: Religion is a dangerous delusion: it leads to violence and war. We must therefore get rid of religion: science will achieve that. We do not need God to be good: atheism can provide a perfectly adequate base for ethics.”
― John C. Lennox, Gunning for God

Of course you're missing the fact that most everything claimed in that statement is true.

I take issue with two points:

I would clarify that religion CAN be a dangerous delusion, but not necessarily always.

I highly doubt science/facts/truth will ever 'get rid of religion'. Religion is based on emotional need and the confirmation bias that accompanies it is immune to facts.

"If the cure for ignorance
were simply a dose of the truth
We could eradicate the disease of the elderly
and inoculate our youth"

I am not missing the fact that most everything claimed in that statement is true. I do, however, get the fact that you are making a truth claim for which you have not provided sufficient evidence.

Peter Atkins (a highly regared athiest) makes this positive assertian:
"Science is omnipotent."

Do you disagree with him also?

A) what truth claim are you referring to?

B) I would have to get a clarification from that guy on what he means by 'omnipotent'. Does he mean infallible? Does he mean all powerful in that he believes science will eventually be able to explain all? Perhaps he clarified in another portion of the video/debate?

In answer to A):

I quoted you. Don't you read your own post, or do you view with the same sense of babbling as the rest of us?

In answer to B):

Atkins give sufficient dialog to understand his meaning.

GB, are you trotting out Atkins and his silly statement that "Science is all knowing". To me, that is a highly arrogant, and moronic statement.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell