Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Some Atheists seem to be just as passionate about their Atheistic beliefs as others are about their Christian beliefs. They zealously defend their Atheistic beliefs, as others zealously defend their Christian beliefs. Christians cannot prove God's existence, and Atheists cannot dis-prove God's existence.

I think in many instances it's not being passionate about being an atheist, it's being tired of being told who/what/when/where by Christians.

I can understànd where you're coming from. Many people's animosity and disdain isn't so much directed at God Himself, but at those who claim to be His followers.

I really think people who like to believe that are fooling themselves. Jesus told the people of his day that if they hated the Son, they hated the Father as well and that if anyone was going to throw in with him they should expect the world to hate them as it hated him. So no one should be a hypocrite and say you would love and believe in God if he had better followers. I don't buy it, that is utter horse crap. My experience with believers runs the gamut from awesome to miserable but it changes nothing about my belief. If you don't believe in God, hate the concept of him, and want to be an "atheist" just own it, and don't make excuses. Be a man and pick your side.

I believe you missed the point. Completely.

Following Christ does not mean following His followers, many who come across as judgmental, quarrelsome, disingenuous, hostile, and moralistic superiors who seem to think they are the only ones going to heaven and also seem to relish the fact that everyone else is going to hell. Some folks don't wanna belong to 'that' group. And although they remain committed to Christ, and their faith in Christ remains central to their lives, and they continue to believe in a loving God who created the universe... they choose to step away from the words 'Christian' and 'Christianity'. With good reason. Christ is infinitely more important than either of those two words.

Here is the problem with what you are saying. Christ died for and loves the very people you want to "step away" from. If you are going to follow Christ you have to put up with and bear with people, particularly HIS people, because he does. It always helps to take the plank our of your own eye before you take gnat out of someone else's eye.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn