Originally Posted by curdog4570
It seems to me that the human mind is constructed in such a way that we can never accept a negative proposition with the same degree of certainty we accord a positive affirmation.

God either IS....... or He is NOT.

Once a man has become CONVINCED that He IS, in a Supernatural method of conviction, the question is forever settled in his mind.

It is impossible for the Atheist to hold his unbelief with the same conviction.

I think that explains in part why they continually attempt to engage in debates with believers.

It ain't US they are arguing with.

It's either themselves... or SOMEONE else. grin

Your claim that a believer can never become a non-believer is just factually wrong. It happens all the time. This is evidenced by the NON's being the fastest growing group in the US. as it relates to religion. You can also examine the decline of religion in Europe. The facts do not match your statement.

As for why do Atheist engage believers in debate, it is to influence minds, and correct misconceptions. Think of all the folks on this forum who don't seen to understand the modern Atheist. Did you know the difference between an Atheist and an Anti-theist before I explained it?

Even if I don't change your mind, I can help you to become better informed and at least have a better understanding of the Atheist point of view.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell