Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd rather leave the question of the true existence of a deity open,neither proved nor disproved. I am not interested in absolute answers. Some matters are best left to faith.

On the issue of "honesty", you are as likely to be screwed over by an atheist as a Christian,and more likely by members of certain sects whose religion considers it an obligation to lie to infidels.

Honesty is probably a Christian value of human conduct,along with others that we hold as self evident in our society,and TRY to practice but no one, regardless of belief or religion,can follow scrupulously.Because we are humans. But this does not mean that we can't have "standards" of conduct.And religion and faith have provided those "standards",whether you are an atheist or true believer.We see them everywhere in our legal system.

I do know one thing.....in the political context,you better believe in something. Because if you don't,you open the door to questions such as where your rights come from;whether you are born with them, or whether they are granted by men through government.And if so, they can be taken away by those men or governments.

This is the underpinning of our Constitutional system. Attack religion,abandon it altogether,and the rest crumbles. Watch out what you do.

Great answer, yup.