Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by antlers

He also died for unbelievers, yet Christians are told to "come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them".

Yep, Christianity does a great job of creating in groups and out groups. It's always easier to dehumanize, exploit and murder an out group.

Is it honest to imply that atheism doesn't?

I find it weird that so many who are so convinced of that which cannot be proven (a negative, hence A-Theist) are so determined to prove the superiority of their position.

I'm ok with you not believing. Frankly having observed your thoughts in political discussions here I probably agree with you far more on things aside from religion than I do with other Christians. I also find non-evangelical atheists to often be more like able than fundy Christians.

Still... I scratch my head at the proseletyzing that goes on here by atheists. I know I'm biased, but I see it more on that side than from Christians.

Either way I really honestly don't care what you don't believe in nor what of my beliefs you find dishonest. I mean all of this sincerely; not being snide nor trying to poison the well such as if I were to say that a position in a debate was fundamentally dishonest.

But I digress.

Peace to all of you! It's Friday!

EWF,

There is nothing in my skepticism that says I must hate someone, or discriminate against someone because of their race, color, creed, or sexual orientation.

Can you say the same about religions?

In general Christians believe those with a different sexual orientation should not enjoy all the rights of others. Some Muslims feel it's acceptable to kill anyone who isn't their kind of Muslim. Mormon can have a very Us and Them mentality. Heck even the bible command to "love thy neighbor" is only a command to love other Jews. Some scholars propose the main reason for the strict Jewish dietary laws was to differentiate the Jews from the tribes around them, solidifying the in group/out group mentality.

So yea, religions, including Judeo-Christianity are very good at creating in, and out groups.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell