Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by antlers
Disregarding what you term a "threat", and disregarding the hereafter, a sound position is...regardless of anything else...that if one follows His teachings, one will have a better life. The 'peace that passes all understandings' fills a God shaped void in many people's lives that can't be filled by anything else.

I fail to see how my life would be any better following a fairy tale. I fail to see how that would help me believe as many true things, and as few false things as possible?
In this country, religious fundamentalist have the lowest level of education and the lowest income, and that's before they give 10% of it away. Look at all the time lost as well. What would be the next best thing you could do with this time? In economics this is called an "opportunity cost".
But, I guess some people just want the blue pill.

Some folks have found a better life just by following His teachings about love, forgiveness, judging others, hypocrisy, wealth and poverty, etc..

You don't seem content to simply discuss your views and your opinions on this subject...you put forth a lot of effort to point out how 'stupid' other folks are...folks who don't see things the same way that you do.

People are what they are, not what they 'tell' people they are. People's actions show what and who they are despite what they claim to be. If people are known by their fruits, then their 'beliefs' should identify themselves in the same way. In modern times, can you name any charitable ministry, or outreach, or any other entity designed to help others that was ever started by the Atheists...? Show us one...if you can...then compare 'that' to many hundreds of hospitals and colleges, and children’s homes, and crisis centers that were started by followers of Christ.

Sure, we can start with the Bill Gates Foundation. They even provided lab top computers to my son's school.

If you look at the actual studies regarding Charitable giving and volunteer work, after we pull out things like ushering at one's own chruch, on a per person basis, Atheist actually give more and volunteer more time then the faithful. (Uslaner 2002, Galen 2012)

As for love, forgiveness, judging others, hypocrisy, wealth and poverty, do you really need Jesus for any of that?

As for my discussion style on this topic, yes, I approach it as a search for the truth, not opinion, but the truth, so when someone attempt to present their opinion as truth, I will attempt to show the error in their reasoning.

Now contrast that with my response to someone like Bassman for Scott F who admit their beliefs are 100% faith based, and not founded in truth. I thank them for their honesty and move on, unless of course it's someone who used their faith as an excuse for immoral thinking, such as someone who recently attempted to use it to justify their anti-Semitic beliefs, it which case I will give them no quarter.

You. You seem harmless, but fun to debate.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 09/04/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell