Originally Posted by NeBassman
AS, I am an agnostic that made a leap of faith one day. Honestly, I still do not have answer to the the question "does God exist", but I did find both a sense of peace and purpose by simple saying "I believe" one day. I believe in the idea of God, but not religion. My faith is based on a belief of something greater than myself rather than any book that was written long ago.

The way I see it we can choose to live a world where survival of the fittest rules, or a world in which men are humbled by the possible existence of God. I would rather live in a world where men are humbled rather than one where might makes right.

One thing I will say about science, given what we have learned about the size, age and scope of the universe, should God exist beyond our imagination then God is truly much greater and grander than we have ever imagined.

Bassman,

You bring up a very good question, one I would like to address.

What does it mean to be "fittest". Many people view this as a singular tough individual, but I have to disagree.

Evolution is actually about the survival of the fittest POPULATIONS, not the fittest individuals. Afterall, and individual cannot evolve, their DNA is set before they are born.

If we apply the principles of Economics to population fitness, and understand the benefits of specialization and the division of labor. The general rule of thumb is that every time a population increases 10x, the overall productivity of the individuals increases by 10%. So on a per person basis, a community of 100 people using division of labor, specialization and free trade will be 21% more productive then a lone individual.

The implications of this are very clear. It is not the rugged individual that is "the fittest", but populations that become socialized and work in concert employing division of labor, specialization, and largely free trade.

As for something greater then ourselves, there are many thing greater then us. Our families, our country, humanity, and the Universe.

A person can be humble without a belief in a god. I appreciate you admitting your beliefs are based on faith, and not evidence.

Have a good weekend.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell