Originally Posted by curdog4570
Thanks for your story. I grew up hearing such tales told with the same conviction, so when I've been the recipient of such "visions" as yours, I was not quick to try and explain them away.

Those "Riff-Raff Pointers", as I knew them, were crosses between English Pointers and English Setters.

When you mate two dogs that each point birds, you are almost certain to get pups that will point birds.

But a couple of human Believers are apt to beget a child that declares from the outset that there ain't a damned thing in the Universe superior to his own intellect.

You are the first person I can remember in years who recognized the term riff raff pointers. Best bird dogs ever - and they hunted in male/female pairs with incredible work ethic and strategy.

Last paragraph ... well stated. Very well stated. Nice analogy.

Originally Posted by curdog4570
It seems to me that the human mind is constructed in such a way that we can never accept a negative proposition with the same degree of certainty we accord a positive affirmation.

God either IS....... or He is NOT.

Once a man has become CONVINCED that He IS, in a Supernatural method of conviction, the question is forever settled in his mind.

It is impossible for the Atheist to hold his unbelief with the same conviction.

I think that explains in part why they continually attempt to engage in debates with believers.

It ain't US they are arguing with.

It's either themselves... or SOMEONE else. grin

That is probably one of the more eloquently expressed ways of saying we're not going to ever change their minds, that I have ever read.

With that, ironically, the pushed verse from my Daily Bible app this morning was from 2 Timothy 2:2 "and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also."

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.