Cool!!

I've set my two ocean rods (used from a boat) up with 65 lb braid and run 30-lb leaders, so not exactly light tackle. With bottomfish, once you start to bring them up they are subject to "barotrauma"- at least the ones with swim bladders- and don't put up a ton of resistance once you get them towards the surface. The heavy line is because snags are common, and, you never know WTF you might hook out there! Could catch a 48" halibut, or who knows.

I set up my surf perch rod with 20 lb braid and use 10-lb mono leader so obviously hardly light tackle there either. Which is funny, because I love light tackle. The vast majority of the fish I've caught in my life have been on 4-lb test. I might rethink that rig; the rod (9'6" Okuma SST) casts beautifully and has a great action for the perch, so perhaps just another reel set up with something like 6-lb mono. The 20-lb braid is ideal for casting for rockfish from the boat. I had it out in Newport Bay (Yaquina Bay technically) fishing near the north jetty and it was perfect so I don't want to lose that utility. Again, very possible to hook a LARGE, toothy fish like a big ling cod or "whatever" so the 20-lb braid is nice there.

Basically, fishing the salt has completely $crambled my gear and it's an ongoing thing as I try to figure out what's best. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!