Jeff- great story!

I raised several labs and have a ton of good hunting memories they provided over the years, but I have a short story about a pit bull. My oldest daughter somehow managed to get a pit bull when she was about 20 and living out of the house. At this point I didn't have any dogs and intended to keep it that way. We were supposed to babysit the dog for a couple of days (12 years later we still had the dog :)). Beve McQueen was his name.

I was going out for a sharptail hunt one morning and my wife asked why don't you bring Beve with you, he could use the exercise. Sure why not, he can't hurt anything. He hadn't been around any gunfire, but he was the opposite of a skittish dog- so should be fine. As we headed out into the prairie I could tell he was glad to be along. Then something a little odd happened. He started sniffing in the cover- wild rose, buffalo berry, snowberry and lo and behold, he flushed a grouse! I shot that grouse and it drifted into some rather thick cover. I got Beve to go in there and see if there was any chance he might even retrieve the bird. He was rustling in there making quite a bit of noise and then it stopped. I went in after him and there he was with a still live bird under his paw- well I'll be damned smile. We had several nice grouse hunts after that day, who would have thought.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mtwarden; 12/23/18.