Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Sure seems like cops are killing a lot more people than say 10-20 years ago. What up with that?
I read a statistic recently that cops in the US kill more Americans in a few months than have all the cops in Great Britain killed Brits in the last one hundred years. Can't vouch for its accuracy, though.

Pretty sure the United States has been a more violent place ever since there was a United States. And that's how I like it.

Travis
In the frontiers, for sure, but even that was overstated for the sake of sensationalism. When everyone is carrying guns, and don't worry too much about being arrested for legitimate self-defense, bad guys tend to exercise a great deal of self-restraint.
The popularity of dime novels in the late 1800's greatly exaggerated the bloodshed in the west. A lot of our 'history' was manufactured by writers looking to sell a book or a story. For example - you might be familiar with Nez Perce Chief Joseph's famous surrender speech when he said "From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever". Fake. That was written by an army major for an article he wrote for Harpers magazine.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.