Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
It probably went like this: "What, you aren't shooting my prize bull". "Sir, your bull is attacking people and is dangerous, we are going to have to put him down". As he raises his rifle to the deputies, "Over my dead body" and they obliged him.
That's a lot of speculation. I've lived in cattle country almost all my life and have put animals down myself. I can't imagine very many ranchers thinking twice about putting a "prize bull" down that was hurting folks. He'd have to be quite the [bleep]. And to do a little speculating of my own, his wife probably wouldn't be surprised into a heart attack if the old clown showed up dead and he'd been that much of an [bleep]. She'd more than likely fall over and break a hip from dancing a jig that the [bleep] was dead.

At this point, there's just no telling what happened. Maybe it was all accidental. I can't imagine too many rural Idahoans getting crazy at the sight of a gun-LE included.

I'm amazed that all these folks who live in cattle country don't know that most ranchers are insured for loss of animals on open range to vehicle collision.

I've handled many such claims over the years, probably over a hundred, and in every instance the scrawny dead animal was the rancher's prize bull or best calf producing heifer. They get paid well for the animal loss in most instances.

Also, in many States livestock on open range have the right of way on roads and highways.

I'm wondering whether the rancher surprised the cops on scene by shooting the injured bull, and they instinctively responded to the shot??

As many have stated, it's a sad situation for all involved.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”