Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How did the rancher find out his bull was hit?

A couple articles mentioned that a dispatcher calledYantis to inform him he had a bull out in the road that was hit. At least one article stated the dispatcher requested he come and help take care of the situation.

One might have even intimated that the dispatcher asked him to help put the bull down.

Obviously 20/20 here, but I have to question the decision to call the rancher. If people were hurt, cows going crazy etc etc, I'm not sure how adding more people, and armed people, to the equation would make things better.

Generally, when it happens around here, the sheriff tries to find the owner to have them help resolve the situation. So I don't find it unusual that the dispatcher asked the owner to come out. I have seen cops try to move, capture, roundup loose cattle before. Doesn't go well usually. Even at an accident scene, I'd rather have a couple people who know how to deal with pissed of cattle work to get a bull etc. out of the way rather than asking deputies and first responders to do it.

Now, asking the guy to bring a rifle? If that truly happened. Hindsight definitely shows that wasn't the smartest thing to do.

Montana MOFO